Saturday, September 01, 2012

In the groove again...

I can't believe it but Ivan has been in school for three weeks now.  His first day was August 13.  He appears to be enjoying his new teacher, Mrs. Perry.  She has taught third grade at his school since 1998, so she knows how things run and what to expect from third graders.  J and I really like her too.  She is loving and kind, but clearly in control of her classroom.  I foresee another good year for Ivan.

On another note, Ivan finally reached his $127.32 goal and purchased the Hogwarts Castle Lego set.  He earned the money to do so by saving his birthday money, doing his weekly chores for which he is paid a (very small) commission, and by picking-up pine cones in Nana and Papa Wayne's yard.  We pay him a penny per pine cone and I think he has picked up something like 5000 in the past couple of months over there.  I wish I were exaggerating.  He has been saving right along since March when he decided that he really wanted this Hogwarts set.  J and I have tried to help by offering him opportunities to earn an extra $.50 here and there.  He has been very disciplined with his savings and has denied himself many times when we have gone to Target or Wal-mart and he has seen something less expensive that he wanted in the moment.  However, whenever I would say "It's fine with me if that's what you want to spend your money on, but remember it will take XX dollars away from your savings for the Hogwarts set."  Hogwarts won every time and now it is finally here.  He is putting it together as I write this.  1200 plus pieces of pure
Lego joy for my little boy.  

No comments: