Saturday, September 17, 2005

Gymboree and all that jazz...

Tuesday Ivan and I attended our first Gymboree music class. I went in a little nervous and shy but surfaced on the other side unscathed and happy. Ivan entered the class a little groggy (he napped in the car on the way there - a 45 minute ride) and exited smiles and giggles. We both really had a good time and will be enjoying our class every Tuesday until mid December.

I think that one of the reasons that I was so nervous about the class is that sometimes I feel like a fraud. I worry that others will see that we have only known each other for a short while and that somehow they will think that our relationship is not "real" or "deep enough". I never worry about this type of thing at home...I know that our relationship is real and deepening every day, but send me out in public and I worry that others will know that I am a new Mom.

It's so ridiculous, I know. Who cares what anyone else knows or thinks that they know. Who cares what they think? I know, I know. However, in the world of Mom's I want to fit in. I can't talk about birth or pregnancy or even Ivan's infancy. I can only discuss the past 2 wonderful months. Sometimes, that leaves me a little short on conversation.

Thankfully at Gymboree it is mostly about you and your baby playing together. After we had finished our class, I reflected on my concerns and realized how silly they truly were. I am Ivan's Mom. The length of time that I have been his Mom is irrelevant. I am the one he looks to for love and care and that is all that matters.

No comments: